Ford Recommends BP

Ford Recommends BP

Filling up yesterday on the way back into town I noticed a tagline that says “Ford Recommends BP” on the gas cap of the Fusion that I’m driving for the First 5000 test drive series. Now, I’ve seen this before and never really paid it much attention other than to look up at the gas station’s sign to see if I was at a BP or not. But while pumping gas yesterday I thought to myself “man, I bet BP paid a fortune to have this put on Ford’s gas caps…”

I’m not really sure of the effectiveness, though…as I’ve never opened my fuel door, seen “Ford Recommends BP” and thought “Oh…well there’s a BP right over there, I’d better go over there instead!” If I were BP, I would’ve liked my logo next to the low fuel indicator light!

I did some research (read: I “Googled” it) and only found one website that had an article on it and like mine, was just speculation about the product placement and had no facts about the advertising deal itself. I did find out that BP sponsors the Ford Focus WRC team and there might be some kind of aspect to their contract to allow BP to place a small logo on the gas caps of Ford’s production vehicles…although that seems like a pretty big perk to sponsoring a race car.

Who knows…Maybe there’s some segment of the car buying public who will start thinking Ford is telling them that BP makes the best gas for their car and BP’s product placement will pay off.

Update
This article has recently been brought to my attention. It’s a press release on Ford’s website explaining the gas caps. It seems as if it’s a mutual advertisement agreement.

“The relationship between Ford and BP is a great fit for a number of reasons — common customers worldwide, strong retail networks, and complementary technologies,” said Ford Division President Darryl Hazel. “The fuel cap recommendation allows customers to establish a tangible connection between both companies. We expect to have future promotions between Ford dealerships and BP retail locations that will strengthen that association even further.”

It’s not a one sided deal either as they site recent examples of BP’s endorsement of Ford including a “Win Free Gas for a Year” contest promoting the F-150 in the U.S. and the Focus C-MAX in Europe. Last year, the two companies held a sweepstakes giving customers the chance to win a Ford Escape Hybrid. This summer’s Ford and BP sweepstakes features the Ford Five Hundred.

11 Comment(s)

1. Ford the best car 🙂

andre | Mar 27, 2009 | Reply

2. With the recent oil spill I would hope that Ford would re-think their partnership with BP.

jb | Jun 15, 2010 | Reply

3. I’m sure Ford’s PR people are also cringing at the thought of being associated with a company who has created one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history.

Meg | Jun 19, 2010 | Reply

4. Maybe so but Ford is in a great position in the public eye. The new Fiesta, their no-bailout money stance, Alan Mulally and the way he’s handled the company the past few years since he’s been in charge, etc.

This post was 2008. I’ll have to see if the new “capless” fuel tanks that Ford has on just about every vehicle now mention BP at all.

Rants&Raves | Jul 8, 2010 | Reply

5. Did Ford’s partnership with BP prevent them from needing a bailout?? Smells kinda fishy to me…

Cloud Nine | Nov 2, 2010 | Reply

6. Here’s a link to Chevron’s corporate website. Click on the “Techron” tab for their take on the OEMs and the fuel they “use.”

“Well Worth the Effort”
    “Since 1973, all three major Detroit auto manufacturers use Chevron gasoline to help their new engines pass the tough EPA emissions system durability tests which are now as long as 120,000 miles.”
    “And they go a long way to prove it, because Chevron doesn’t market gasoline anywhere near the Michigan home of the Big Three automakers. They use Chevron gasoline with Techron, even though they must buy it in Kentucky and pay to truck it all the way to the Detroit area.
    The Big Three agree: Chevron with Techron is worth the extra effort.”

Not my words, theirs. Go figure eh?

R. S. | Dec 30, 2010 | Reply

7. @cloudnine
    lol, no Ford’s CEO dishing off brands that weren’t making any money and taking out low interest loans before the recession hit was what kept them from needing a bailout

Rants&Raves | Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

8. WHAT IS BP RECOMMENDED ON MY FUEL CAP IS A FORD TAURUS 2008 3.5 LIMITED

JESUS | Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

9. any gas will work for your vehicle – is that what you were asking? BP’s gas is just fine for your car if you want to continue using it – boycotting BP by not buying their gas is only hurting the small local gas station owner (tip: big gas companies don’t own all the stations, ordinary people like you and I do!)

Rants&Raves | Apr 18, 2011 | Reply

10. I used to have a 99 ford crown victoria that showed pinging and hesitation that would almost vanish if using BP fuel. All other brands made it worse. Go and ask a cab driver and they will tell you that BP is the best fuel for the fords.

edel | May 27, 2012 | Reply

11. An excellent training essay engages the viewer till
    the biggest solution for writing training essay, the conclusion is the
    fact that you need to logically prepared the recommendations so
    what there is no distress left for your reader while in the instruction essay.

Therefore, I will be offering you some crucial methods for writing instruction documents.
    Paul’s cathedral created Outdated Unhappinessis residence|the residence of Aged Misery was created by
    Christopher Wren, who was simply the seventeenth century designer Such a
    hyphen can be used to attach elements of exactly
    the same phrase as father-inlaw, OneUp, and double jointed.
    A m-dash (which looks about so long as two hyphens
    caught together) can be used to create off a clause.
    The m-dashes — like these — are an excellent way to incorporate in an extra thought, but do not forget that with no offer involving
    the m-dashes, the sentence should nevertheless sound right.
    Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was the seventeenth century architect Why you intend to occupy regulation, a great individual
    statement must obviously explain. This is the reason entry documents that
    are exceptional generally give attention to the applicantis
    drive in its conversation. Be considered a storyteller and walk the audience during your personalized activities
    which caused one to wish to become a lawyer. Paul’s cathedral created Outdated Miseryis household|the residence of
    Previous Unhappiness was created by Christopher Wren, who was the seventeenth century
    architect An organization that is good can deliver essays on or before.

Individuals must ensure the organization they pick to get their documents by this from abides.
    Paul’s cathedral|Wren, who had been the seventeenth-century architect
    A company that is suited to buying dissertation online really needs many characteristics which is discussed in this essay.

One of many qualities is the fact that the organization ahs to get authors who are trusted.
    These authors must be the finest and should also provide the ability to create quality
    article online. Furthermore, they’ve to write documents that are
    online based on all recommendations written by consumers for example pupils.
    Customers can find several types of documents online.
    Paul’s cathedral created the home of Old Misery|Christopher Wren, who was simply A-5-paragraph article is
    least you can need a realization paragraph to
    finish it, and very simple to accomplish you only
    need the introduction paragraph and you also would require at the least three facts
    to start out the following paragraph. This complete move really is easy initially you may think it is hard but than you would become accustomed to composing 5 sentences dissertation since
    I will be carrying out a large amount of them. Paul’s cathedral created the property of Outdated Agony|Christopher Wren, who was An individual
    record that is good must obviously reveal why you want to take-up legislation. Why exceptional admission essays generally concentrate on the customer’s motivation in its debate,
    this is. Be considered a storyteller and go the reader through your personal experiences which persuaded one to wish to turn into a lawyer.

Paul’s cathedral|Wren, who was simply the seventeenth century builder of
    St. Paul’s cathedral|Christopher Wren, who was the seventeenth century designer